|South Carolina State Vital Records
South Carolina State Vital Records Office
Office of Vital Records
2600 Bull Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Call (803) 898-3630
Records include birth and death records since January 1915, marriage records since July 1950, and divorce records since July 1962
Check out our FREE sample letter you can use to send to vital records offices!
Awesome Genealogy Transcribed Databases
Accessions to the Presbytery of South Carolina, South Carolina from 1760 - 1788.
South Carolina Naturalizations from 1732.
EXPEDITION JOHN MCKENZIE: England to South Carolina, 1729
Convicts From Bristol to South Carolina in 1728
South Carolina Archives To Reduce Access Hours
Genealogical Records: Early Georgia and South Carolina Settlers (2 CDs)
Port Royal, South Carolina, 1562-1886
Charleston, South Carolina, 1776
Connecticut and South Carolina Claims and Cessions of Western Lands, 1776-1802
Georgia & South Carolina, 1865
North & South Carolina, 1865
CDs on Sale
Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, 1641-1944 Marriage Index
North Carolina & South Carolina, 1870 Census Index
Early South Carolina Settlers, 1600s-1800s
Laurens County, South Carolina Census, 1800
South Carolina Baptist Deaths and Marriages, 1866-87
Duncan's Creek, South Carolina Church Cemetery Records
Maryland and South Carolina Lutheran Newspapers, Marriages and Deaths
Charleston Observer (South Carolina), Marriages and Deaths
Columbia, South Carolina Newspaper Marriage and Death Notices
Greenville, South Carolina Marriage and Death Notices, 1826-63
York, South Carolina Marriage and Death Notices, 1823-65
South Carolina Baptist Marriages and Deaths, 1835-65
Columbia, South Carolina Obituaries, 1859-77
South Carolina Census, 1790-1890
South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 1-20
Charleston, South Carolina Directory, 1888-90
Aiken County, South Carolina Cemetery Inscriptions
South Carolina Newspaper Marriage Notices, 1732-1801
St. Thomas Parish Register, South Carolina, 1680-1884
Edgefield County, South Carolina Wills, Books 1-2
Aiken County, South Carolina: Cemetery Records
Aiken County, South Carolina Cemetery Inscriptions: Graniteville
Family History Centers
- What is a Family History Center?
- Family History Centers are branches of the Family History Library in Salt Lake City.
- Centers provide access to many of the microfilms and microfiche in the Family History Library to help you identify your ancestors.
- Location and Hours
- There are more than 3,400 centers worldwide. To find a Family History Center near you, see the list of addresses below.
- Before you visit, you should contact the center to verify when it is open.
- Staff members will show you around the center, answer some research questions (research expertise in each center varies), help you use center resources, and order microfilms and microfiche from the Family History Library.
- Many centers offer classes on different genealogical research topics.
- Most centers have a computer with FamilySearch, which helps you search for information about your ancestors. FamilySearch includes Family History Library Catalog, International Genealogical Index, Ancestral File, Social Security Death Index, Scottish Church Records and the United States Military Index
- Most also have Personal Ancestral File, a computer program that allows you to organize your family history information.
- Most centers also have a variety of resource files, microfilms, microfiche and published material such as genealogies, histories, gazetteers, atlases and maps at your disposal.
Family History Centers Near You
Information about state archives and libraries:
South Carolina Department of Archives and History
8301 Parklane Road
Columbia, SC 29223
Telephone: (803) 896-6100. Records include vital records, church records, court records, colonial petitions and correspondences, military records, newspapers, tax records, cemetery records, probate records, maps, federal census records from 1790-1910, and local histories.
Information about state genealogical societies:
South Carolina Genealogical Society (SCGS)
2910 Duncan Street
Columbia, SC 29205
Publications: The Carolina Herald, South Carolina Genealogical Newsletter
South Carolina Historical Society
P.O. Box 5401
Spartanburg, SC 29304
See also: South Carolina Genealogy at Live Roots,
and Original South Carolina Documents